[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 02:29:38 -0800

BTW, the analog transmitter site on Mt. San Bruno that
KCSM vacated is now occupied by KNTV and KNTV-DT,
the local NBC affiliate.

Previously, KNTV was located on Loma Prieta, and their
channel 12 DTV transmitter was only running 8.9kW,
resulting in almost zero coverage in the city of San Francisco.

To get better coverage in SF, KNTV used a sub-channel
on KSTS-DT (channel 49), a Telemundo affliliate, to
simulcast the NBC HD feed from Mt. Allison in the East Bay.

Even though KNTV and KSTS are co-owned, it turns out
the KSTS-DT NBC HD simulcast wasn't exactly legal, and
disappeared on the very same day that the Mt. San Bruno
KNTV transmitters were turned on.

KNTV-DT is now running 103.1kW on channel 12. Coverage
is much better in San Francisco, but there's no free lunch. Some
viewers in deep south San Jose and along the hills in Cupertino
and Los Gatos have lost their KNTV and KNTV-DT coverage.

Ron