[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:17:28 -0500

Bert,

The proof is in the lack of ATSC product.  Let's take your automobile
analogy.  Have you noticed that most auto companies build the same car, with
only minor modifications for local laws, to sell around the world?
Basically the same car, with minor changes to the lighting, safety,
emissions, and at times driver position, to comply with local laws.  They do
not for the most part create entirely new designs for each market.

If that doesn't do it for you, here's an example closer to your personal
experience.  You ever notice that computer equipment sold worldwide is
basically the same, with minor changes to accommodate local power
requirements?

The same was done for the Australian DTV market.  Take an existing 8 MHz
DVB-T design, modify it for the narrower channel bandwidth, in some cases
modify the MPEG decoder section to include HD, and you have a box that was
originally designed for Europe that was easily modified for the much smaller
Australian market.

Now, if the United States were DVB-T, and there were no hard cutoff date,
those same manufacturers could modify their existing design to accommodate
the US channel spacing and bandwidth, and to output NTSC rather than PAL
video.  Again, a box that was designed for Europe, and modified for
Australia, could easily be modified again for sale in the US.

If that doesn't do it for you, then you are being deliberately obstinate.

Cheers,

John