[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:41:48 -0000

From what I know, HDTV cable means little or no recompression of the
acquired terrestrial program stream: digital cable means heavy
recompression.

I know of several analog stations that cannot get audio and video in sync,
and have been out of sync for decades.  Going digital just makes it worse.
While I've been in Elko this last week, I've been watching variable
audio-video delay on Dish network.

There is a open-source movement afoot called "Simple PSIP."  It's now on
it's fourth set of (linux) programmers.  I told the first three sets that
"there is nothing simple about PSIP."  Unfortunately for them, not a single
person involved, with the possible exception of the latest programmer, knows
ANYTHING about PSIP.  Understanding PSIP is not enough; you also have to
understand traffic and log system, and the various permutations.

It took me about three years to "understand" psip, but I still learn new
nits from time to time, and many consider me an expert on it.  (We'll see.)
Open source won't do anything useful, since to interface with most traffic
and automation systems, you have to sign mutual non-disclosure agreements,
which would defeat the open source concept.

The alternative: enter the program information by hand.  No staff for that,
and the most expensive PSIP generator on the market would be cheaper over
time, unless you have an unlimited supply of exceptional interns.

John Willkie