[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 03:13:40 -0800

If cable companies do pass through PSIP, isn't it a bit of a PID
mapping problem? Let's say a QAM channel has two or more
ATSC programs from different stations in the mux. What PID
or PID's do you put the PSIP on? In ATSC, the PSIP PIP is
known a priori to be on 0x1ffb. But you can't put multiple PSIP
streams on PID 0x1ffb in the QAM multiplex, it would be an
undecipherable mess. At the same time, there's no other scheme
in the PAT or PMT to point to the PSIP streams if you want to
use multiple PID's.

My guess is that PSIP packets are tossed, and the lost information
may (or may not) be replicated in the cable EPG.

Ron