[opendtv] Re: White LEDs warm up for indoor lighting

  • From: John Golitsis <jgolitsis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:15:03 -0400

I've been fascinated with LEDs for lighting since my boss had me researching them for use in backlit transit shelter signs in Toronto and New York. It's been some time and I've forgotten the details, but the predicted energy savings in that application were pretty staggering, especially when coupled with batteries and solar arrays. The project never went ahead, but I suspect it'll resurface some day.

On 21-Mar-07, at 11:43 AM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

Interesting. Australia is banning incandescent light bulbs, which IMO
makes a *whole* lot more sense than fussing over the power requirements
of OTA STBs, and just in time these other alternatives appear to the
already available fluoresent light bulb replacements.

A 60 watt incandescent bulb emits about 870 lumens. So the LED
replacement would draw about 12 to 14 watts, which makes it almost
identical to the efficiency of those fluorescent lamp lightbulb
replacements. But I would expect the LED to last many more years than
even the longlasting fluorescents. Also, if white light is made by
combining red, blue, and green LEDs, you should be able to adjust the
color temperature to whatever you prefer. And, LEDs would not create the
hazardous waste problem of fluorescents.