[opendtv] Re: Whether collusion is necessary

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 09:24:35 -0700

Bert wrote:

"To see that TV CE manufacturers don't get this, but rather they go on
assuming that they have to collude with someone even for Internet access,
bend over, and just provide access to a handful of pay-only sites, is
pretty freakin' astounding. I can't begin to understand why anyone should
pretend, or argue, that these practices are necessary."

I'm curious about a couple of things, Bert:

1.  How do you propose a TV could be built that accesses the web as a
non-device specific web-browser so that any content that gets to a PC
would be viewable?  It seems to me that if this was possible, it would
done already.  If it is possible, it sounds like a good business
opportunity.

2.  If I understand your arguments correctly, it seems to me that you
believe the content owners are not trying to block devices.  Or if you
believe they can and do, that it is the device manufacturers that are the
problem, allowing the content owners to do so.  Could you clarify your
position?

Dan