[opendtv] Wheeler Expresses Concerns About Online Retrans Blackouts | Multichannel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 07:55:57 -0400

http://www.multichannel.com/news/retransmission-content/wheeler-expresses-concerns-about-online-retrans-blackouts/374683

Wheeler Expresses Concerns About Online Retrans Blackouts

During questioning by Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) in a House Communications
Subcommittee FCC oversight hearing Tuesday, FCC chairman Tom Wheeler said he
was concerned, and everyone else should be too, about instances where
subscriber access to online content was blocked as part of a programming
dispute.

Welch noted that the blackouts seemed to be migrating to online and asked if it
was the beginning of the "cable-ization" of the Internet.

Wheeler responded that it was the right question to ask. He said the FCC's
authority was based in enforcement of good faith negotiations and said that he
had there was "reason to be concerned when because I have subscribed to a
certain ISP who is in a dispute with a program provider, that the program
provider blocks all access from all IP addresses coming from that ISP. I think
that is something that is of concern and that we all should worry about."