[opendtv] Welcome to OpenDTV@freelists.org

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:47:37 -0500

The new home for OpenDTV is now up and running at FreeLists.org.

PLEASE READ THIS MESSAGE AND SAVE IT FOR FUTURE REFERENCE !!!!!

The new home for the OpenDTV list is particularly well suited to our
needs. Here is a brief overview from their website:

Welcome to FreeLists, a service providing free, commercial-grade
Internet mailing lists to all interested. Our lists are all internet
and technology-related. Thus, we provide a free focal point for
technology-inclined individuals and groups on the Internet. We do it
all without the support of advertisements, ensuring the
highest-quality mailing list experience for you and your users.

What's that Free thing all about? (Our philosophy)

FreeLists is a completely Free service. We're not talking just about
price here. See, there's a philosophy behind FreeLists: Knowledge and
Information are free, and should stay that way. Our service is about
maintaining that objective.

FreeLists runs a completely free service on completely Free software.
The Linux operating system, the Apache webserver, and the Ecartis
mailing manager are responsible for bringing FreeLists to you daily.
Mhonarc and ht://dig work in conjunction to bring you the web-based
archives. All of this software is Free software and we italicize that
word over and over again to emphasize its importance. See the Free
Software Foundation's website for more information.

There are many parallels between the service we have been using at
Topica.com and a few major differences:

FreeLists provides web based subscriber management tools and access
to the list archives - effective with this message going forward.
FreeLists DOES NOT provide a web interface for posting messages to
the list.

You can receive individual messages, a daily digest, or individual
messages AND a daily digest.

must register with FreeLists at:

   //www.freelists.org/index.html

 From the home page select "FreeLists Login" in the "For Members
and Subscribers" box on the left side of the page.

Use the "FreeLists Web Login" box. Enter the e-mail address that you
have used to subscribe to the list, leaving the password empty, then
select "login."

FreeLists will immediately send a temporary password to your e-mail
account which you must use for authorization on the next page (the
page will load automatically).

After you receive the authorization e-mail, paste the temporary
password into the authorization screen then select "Authorize."
The next page will allow you to enter and confirm the password you
will use when you login in to manage your account using the
web-based interface, or to view the list archives.

Like Topica, the management tools allow you to set a "Vacation" flag,
which will temporarily suspend  the mailing of messages from the
list. After your vacation you must reset the flag to start receiving
messages. If you bounce too many messages FreeLists will place your
account in Vacation mode.

The FreeLists website does carry some ads, which makes it possible to
offer list hosting services to communities such as OpenDTV without
charge. NO ads will be inserted in list messages!

To post messages they must be sent to:

opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you have set up an address in your address book to send messages
to the list, PLEASE update the address NOW!

I will leave the list active at Topica for a few days during the
transition to FreeLists.org. Once the list is deactivated at
Topica.com we will lose the list archives that are available there.

Growing the OpenDTV Community

Participation in the OpenDTV list is open to anyone with an interest
in topics discussed on the list. Please feel free to forward messages
from the list to your colleagues, and encourage them to join our
community.

Your colleagues can subscribe to the list and register with FreeLists at:

   //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list.fcgi?list_id=opendtv

Or they can join the list via email without registering simply by
sending an email to:

opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

In the body of the message they must enter:  subscribe

FreeLists will automatically send them a confirmation message. Once
they reply, they'll be added to the list.

the click of a button.  Login at the FreeLists site then select the
opendtv list.

Select "Change Settings" to update the settings for your subscription:

- You can enter your real name in this screen.

- You can choose two different digest options:
    "Digest" allows you to receive only a digest each day;
    "Digest2" allows you to recieve individual posts AND a dail digest.

Vacation allows you to temporarily suspend receiving messages without having
to unsubscribe. You must reset this flag to start receiving messages again.

 From the main menu you can select "Unsubscribe" to remove your address
from the OpenDTV list.

Please let me know if you are experiencing any problems with our new
list serve. There are MANY options available to me as list
administrator; we can fine tune things as we get used to the new
service.

At the moment it is not possible to send attachments to the list. I
will be in contact with FreeLists to see if we can turn on
attachments for the list.

Onward and upward!