[opendtv] Re: Web Streaming Content and QT, WMV, Flash, ETC

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:12:00 -0800

Dan;

Yes, one must pay for use of AVC or MPEG-2 codecs.  Period.

The cost for MPEG-2 is $1.25 per player, per an MPEG-LA license.  I suspect
that the cost for MPEG-4 is significantly higher.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.  There are also streaming fees, but
I'm vague about that, since I've never needed to concern myself with that.

You need legal help, since 1) the cost is not just the codec, but streaming
using it, 2) DVD players don't (generally) include the rights to do
streaming nor to use the MPEG-2 codec with streaming.

I said that the best approach would be to have WM and QT streaming systems
operating side by side.  If you want to contact the nice folks (I mean it)
at MPEG-LA.com, they will guide you as to their costs, but they will also
tell you that they cannot give legal advice, nor guarantee that all
essential patents are included in their license.  And, MS and Apple, in the
fine print, will also make that point.

It's "state of the legal art" in patent issues.

Avoiding legal issues will only create big potential liabilities, but the
liability is much less, perhaps even zero, licensing MS and Apple
technology.

Even doing nothing involves (other) risks.

Hth

John Willkie

  _____