[opendtv] Re: Web Streaming Content and QT, WMV, Flash, ETC

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:02:34 +0100

Dan Grimes wrote:
Is there such a thing as a good generic file format, using a common codec, for consistent playback on multiple platforms?

I will humbly add my vote in favour of AVC/H.264 + HE-AAC in an mp4 container.

It can all be done with free software (megui tool suite for Video, Nero encoder
for HE-AAC).

It is played easily with VLC or Mplayer which are available for Windows and
Linux (and Mac OSX  as well it seems).

It can be converted to .mkv container without re-encoding (just remuxing), with
free tools like mkvmerge (note that this tool can also convert .mov files to
.mkv, one more reason for the quicktime player to gather dust in some forgotten
corner of my HDD).

It is not limited to the frame rates of MPEG2. Personally, i've taken advantage
of that to encode my old super 8 movies with their native rate of 18 fps.

It is efficient in terms of quality/size ratio.

The only thing is that it requires some horsepower for decoding. I suppose most
recent PCs will handle SD, but HD is another matter.