[opendtv] Re: Way ON topic

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 14:54:59 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> What this really means is that the Broadcasters, the
> satellite and the cable companies want OTA to go away
> all together.
>
> The broadcasters don't want to spend any more money on
> the digital equipment needed to make the transition to
> temporary channels and then spend more to complete the
> transition to their final channel allocations.

[ ... ]

> What easier way to eliminate ALL these problems than
> by stopping broadcasting digital and analog TV OTA
> altogether? Then cable and satellite will own it all.
>
> Sounds like the unwritten, unpublicized plan to me.

Yes. And this plan succeeds only because consumers let it succeed.

I get a real kick out of trade journal scribes who write columns opposed
to things like the CableCard. Or "cable ready" sets in general. It's
hilarious. It's like they're begging to get raped, and haven't even
figured it out. Or maybe, they are being paid to write this stuff.