[opendtv] Re: Watching FOTI TV streams on a tablet

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:58:24 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> What collusion Bert?

Unnecessary and uncalled for special favors being asked between congloms and
equipment makers, only to limit the usefulness of these boxes to their owners.

> Not supporting Flash may well be a platform limitation, although this
> issue is largely an artifact of history.

It was a deliberate, conscious decision, Craig, on which I commented as soon as
it happened. Not complying with the existing standards.

> BLOCKING specific platforms IS NOT collusion;

If you understand the technical issues, you will see that the so-called
"blocking" is self-inflicted by the CE vendors. If LG sold TV sets in this
country with only DVB-T tuners installed, I suppose you would be claiming that
the networks are "blocking" the LG TVs. And I take it you would find it okay
for LG to go begging for the TV stations to please transmit in DVB-T, for their
benefit.

As long as the congloms are willing to make their content available, using the
same (global, well known, ubiquitous) standards as they have from day 1, it is
the responsibility of the equipment vendors to comply. If equipment vendors do
not comply, for their own ulterior motives (e.g. force consumers to use
iTunes), well, maybe you can figure out who's to blame, no?