[opendtv] Re: WatchTV asks FCC for experimental license to test spectrum-efficient wireless transmission technology

  • From: Bob Miller <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 20:21:35 -0500

I don't remember the FCC knowing anything about COFDM in any meeting
we had over a couple of years. The engineers all were sympathetic but
not terribly interested in doing anything that would jeopardize their
jobs. One person knew something about COFDM, Bruce Franca, but I think
he had it wrong. I remember that our engineer, a John Gabriel, from
Duck Corp. had him all ears in explanation of COFDM and DVB-T.

Still remember the comment in a meeting of all the principle FCC
players arranged by Rick Chessen who headed up the transition at the
time. I had said that I thought the policy of the FCC might be to kill
OTA TV and  that was why they choose 8-VSB. Someone chimed in "We have
a policy?" at which everyone laughed.

Chessen was the only political type there but we had the head of at
least four divisions and a bunch of engineers there. They were all
very intent on our demo. They seemed to be in some kind of group pain.
Sort of like the pain I saw in the eyes of Democratic Senator and
House staff when we met with them. "Why are you talking to us, we have
no power, we are Democrats." pain. The FCC people who attended our
meeting, at least three sizeable meetings, had questions but no
answers to ours.

One meeting I attended on DTV was one called by Senator Barton, the
one who apologized to BP recently. I had the latest 8-VSB receiver
prototype with me and held it up to show him and told him it was
garbage compared to DVB-T receivers and was dismissed by him as I was
also booed by the likes of Motorola and LG reps in the room.

Bad guys, Barton, Tauxin and Gary Shapiro who now advocates the end of
OTA broadcasting. Anyone else?

Bob Miller