[opendtv] Re: Walled Garden?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 14:43:03 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> There were a number of comments about the article. I can't resist
> repeating this one for Bert's benefit...
>
> ;-)
>
> Apple's created a "technological ecosystem", called by it's envious
> disparagers a "walled garden". And those of us lucky enough to live in
> that garden are well and truly grateful we don't have to hassle with
> the mess those outside the wall have to struggle with on a daily basis.
> We also welcome any of you that wish to join us.

Heh. Sounds exactly like what you'd expect to hear from the devoted faithful of
any cloistered cult. "It's so scary out there!"

Actually, the integration idea is fine, clearly doable, and not remarkable
anymore. The fact that corporations are trying to develop ways of offering that
integration only in walled gardens is what should be disappointing to the
consumer. It goes entirely against the principles upon which the Internet and
its protocols were, and are, being designed.

Then again, the Internet was designed originally by the DoD and academia. Some
of these new trends make you wonder if it could ever have been what it turned
out to be, had narrow corporate interests been the prime motivation.