[opendtv] Re: Waldman: No FCC Bailouts in Store for Media

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 08:30:06 -0800

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 5:53 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Public Broadcasting in the U.S. has two sources of funding:
>
> 1. Our tax dollars - but not as visible as a TV tax.
>
> 2. Direct "subscriber" support. Those who value the public broadcast service
> in the U.S. willingly help support it. In some ways this is comparable to
> paying subscriber fees via an MVPD service.

I'm aware of that. Neither of those seems to help, since they do not
promote awareness of the 'brand'. Which is why I was curious to see if
anyone in the UK or any other direct tax/contribution (in SA we paid
directly for the TV 'tax', it wasn't lumped into anything else)
country had the same experience as me.

Besides, even though the tax is lumped in in the USA, there's no
guarantee as to what percentage of your taxes will go to public
television in any particular year, regardless of tax bracket and
personal circumstance.

Cheers
Kon