[opendtv] Vizio's very wide CinemaWide 21:9 TV is a revelation for movie buffs

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient:;
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:23:48 -0400

Vizio's very wide CinemaWide 21:9 TV is a revelation for movie buffs

July 30, 2012

For the past several years we've seen TVs get bigger, but it's not
often that we've seen one get wider. But that's the case with Vizio's
new XVT3D580CM CinemaWide-series TV, a $2,500, 58-inch 3D LCD TV that
has an aspect ratio of 21:9 rather than the 16:9 dimensions we see on
almost all other TVs we review. Based on our initial evaluations, the
CinemaWide set represents a credible new viewing option for movie
lovers, with a few caveats.

These 21:9 TVs will likely appeal mainly to movie buffs, as they will
be able to watch the many Blu-ray movies that are shot in the wider
2.35:1 or 2.39:1 aspect ratios (we'll call them 2.40 movies) without
black bars appearing above and below the image ("letter-boxing"). But
this also means that regular 16:9 high-def programs, such as those
from cable or satellite TV service providers, appear as
"pillar-boxed" images, with black bars appearing on either side.

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2012/07/vizios-very-wide-cinemawide-219-tv-is-a-revelation-for-movie-buffs.html