[opendtv] Re: Vizio's very wide CinemaWide 21:9 TV is a revelation for

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 09:20:12 -0700

I don't think the resolutions listed below from that article are the only
supported dimensions for HDMI.  The excerpt quoted below also states the
following just be for that list, "HDMI can support all existing and planned
PC or TV video formats. Several formats were specifically established in
order to jump-start compatibility between products and media whose
resolutions were different:", and then gives the list.

And the article is about HDMI 1.0.  A look at Wikipedia reveals many more
options, especially for later versions of HDMI.

I am not sure which version of HDMI I have on my HP, but I have
successfully linked to 16:9 and 16:10 screens at various resolutions with
proper aspect ratios.  So I know more than 16:9 and 4:3 is possible.  I
have not tried a 2.33:1 screen.

Interestingly, one can download the HDMI 1.3a specification from the
HDMI.org website.  I just did and am looking at it now.

I don't think HDMI is as fixed as one might think. Of course, it certainly
has limitations, but acts more as a pipeline for data packets than a
container for picture with audio.

Anyway, I haven't studied the specification document completely but it
certainly provides for much more than those examples given in the article.

Dan

------------------------------

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 17:50:21 -0500
Subject: [opendtv] Re: Vizio's very wide CinemaWide 21:9 TV is a revelation
for

I gave you a link that described precisely what options HDMI has, for
display resolution and shape. And 21:9 was simply not one of them. The
options are 4:3 or 16:9, with a number of pixel arrangements.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/display-formats-technology/hdmi-interface-a-beginners-guide

SDTV: 720x480i (NTSC), 720x576i (PAL)

EDTV: 640x480p (VGA), 720x480p (NTSC progressive), 720x576p (PAL
progressive)

HDTV: 1280x720p, 1920x1080i (1920x1080p is supported but was not initially
defined when the spec was penned)

All SD formats are available in 4:3 as well as 16:9 aspect ratios while HD
formats are available in the 16:9 ratio only.