[opendtv] Virgin uses DTT to get beyond cable network

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 15:41:20 -0400

Looks like a pay-TV tier over Freeview DTT, for offering extra channels on DTT
to Virgin Media customers outside their cable coverage. Bundled with a
telephone ADSL service for broadband Internet access. I assume ADSL, because
they say "up to 8 Mb/s."

Not clear from this piece are:

1. How many extra pay channels does Virgin Media transmit?

2. What do they mean by "one-off charge" for customers who buy just broadband
and no TV service? Customers don't need to keep paying every month for the ADSL
connection? Seems hard to believe.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=2346

Virgin uses DTT to get beyond cable network

Virgin Media has launched a Virgin-branded digital terrestrial television (DTT)
set-top box for consumers living beyond its cable franchise network. As well as
the standard Freeview line-up of 40 free-to-view TV channels and more than 25
digital radio stations, the service offers an eight-day Virgin-branded
electronic programme guide as well as customer support online and over the
telephone.

Virgin Media said the low-power consumption set-top box-which measures 19cm by
9cm-used one-fifteenth of the energy of a standard 60W lightbulb.

The set-box is free to any Virgin Media non-cable customer taking an up-to 8
Mbps broadband and Talk Anytime phone bundle at £19.99 a month. For non-cable
customers taking a broadband service on its own, a one-off charge of £40 will
apply.

Philip Snalune, managing director of non-cable at Virgin Media, said:
"Launching a basic TV service into non-cable areas enables us to expand
availability of our quadplay of broadband, phone, mobile and TV. This is just
the first step and our aim is to offer more advanced TV services across the UK
throughout 2008.

"The digital switchover is just around the corner and we can now offer
consumers across the UK a simple and low-cost way of making the digital leap,
even if they can't get cable services."

Lovelace Consulting 03.04.2007