[opendtv] Virgin Media unveils details of TiVo connected TV service

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:40:54 -0500

Interesting. If I understand this correctly, looks like Virgin Media chose to
store their content on user premises, rather than in the network, for linear or
Internet TV content. I think that's why the claim that broadband access won't
be affected when people view the on demand stuff including HDTV.

Bert

---------------------------------------
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3908

Virgin Media unveils details of TiVo connected TV service

Virgin Media has announced the first details of its upcoming TiVo-powered set
top box. The new set top box, which will be capable of delivering linear and
on-demand content in both HD and 3D, will launch alongside Virgin Media's new
TiVo-powered next generation connected TV service scheduled for later this year.

According to Virgin Media,the new box's internal modem will enable delivery of
HD video and other online services without impacting customers' regular
broadband connections. The box will offer a terabyte of storage-equivalent to
up to 500 hours of recorded content.

Cindy Rose, Executive Director of Digital Entertainment at Virgin Media, said:
"We're really proud of our new next-generation TV service which will appeal to
anyone and everyone looking for the best of live broadcast TV, catch up, on
demand and internet apps and services."

Virgin Media and TiVo announced plans to join forces in November 2009.

DTG Staff 03.11.2010