[opendtv] Re: Video on Demand

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 01:14:40 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_on_demand

You claim that watching a TV program on a VCR was a form of Video
On Demand. Reading the first sentence of this Wikipedia article
on VOD you might be able to stretch their definition to support
your claim. That is, anything that is by the viewers choice
rather than by appointment is VOD.

The article then proceeds to define VOD as what we think of today.
That is, the ability to download or stream a program over a
network and watch it immediately, or store it to view on demand.

Specifically, the articles states:

"Television VOD systems can either stream content through a set-top box, a
computer or other device, allowing viewing in real time, or download it to a
device such as a computer, digital video recorder (also called a personal video
recorder) or portable media player for viewing at any time."

Which means, a VCR, used to record a linear stream, is considered a "TV VOD
system," according to Wikipedia. A form of on demand viewing.

In this sense a VCR was capable of time shifting of a linear
broadcast, but running to a store to buy or rent a movie was
not.

Of course. And similarly, going to the movies is also not really VOD, although
in some stretched-out way, using library definitions of the words, it could be
thought of as VOD. To me, VOD is limited to electronic stream viewing,
non-linear, where content comes from some electronic content source across a
network.

On the other hand, downloading a stored video program to local
storage is VOD, as it is not a recording of a linear broadcast.

I think you missed a "not" in there. But anyway, surely, when I watch NCIS on
cbs.com, or when I watch an old episode of Star Trek from cbs.com, or when I
watch a Japanese movie from Hulu.com, all of that qualifies as VOD. There's
nothing to limit VOD to be "from a linear stream." And more, if, just for the
sake of argument, I record an episode of NCIS from the cbs.com site, and watch
it later, that too is VOD, according to Wikipedia.

This is the key part: "... or download it to a device such as a computer,
digital video recorder (also called a personal video recorder) or portable
media player for viewing at any time."

That word "download" does not imply "from a linear stream," in any way. It does
imply "from a network." For instance, could be a non-real-time download, easily.