[opendtv] Re: Video compression artifacts and MPEG noise reduction

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:59:36 -0400

When you add in digital capture formats (DigiBeta, etc.,) digital online
editing, digital storage via video servers, and digital satellite distribution,
I'd say that we've been there for several years.

I cannot think of one example where the entire chain from capture to final
presentation in the home never hits a digital stage (using compression) at some
point.

Heck, even in 1993 most TV you saw was digital at some point in it's life, if
not compressed digital.  (Most Frame Sync TBCs were digital by then, as were
digital effects units such as the Ampex ADO.)   And by 1995 all of PBS had
migrated to Digicipher digital satellite delivery of content to member stations.

John