[opendtv] Verizon Takes Down its Garden Walls

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:05:45 -0500

http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2007/11/27/verizon-takes-down-its-garden-walls/
************************
MAA - Talk about real future business changing activity...
************************

Verizon Takes Down its Garden Walls

Posted By _Ben Worthen_ On November 27, 2007 @ 1:08 pm In _News_ | _No Comments_

Verizon may turn your cellphone into a better business tool. The carrier said it will allow <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119617188870905241.html?mod=rss_whats_news_technology> people to use any device and access any application on its wireless network, the latest sign that mobile devices are on their way to becoming as useful as PCs are today.

Traditionally, wireless carriers have exerted tight control over what devices and software people could use on their networks. This approach is known as a "walled garden," because there's a whole world of interesting but hard-to-control stuff out there that the company is protecting its customers from. AOL and others used the same approach in the early days of the Internet. Rather than having people go off and find news or chat rooms on the big bad scary Web, these companies came up with their own sanitized versions of these services.

It didn't work: No single company could keep pace with all the innovation that was taking place on the entire Internet. Now, Verizon is admitting that the model won't work for mobile devices either.

The obvious trigger for Veizon's decision is Google's plan to build tools that will let anyone develop software for mobile devices. In Google's world view, mobile devices are about to go through the same sort of software boom that PCs went through over the last decade. There's no telling what developers will come up with, but Google is betting that they'll come up with interesting and innovative stuff that people will want to use.

Eventually, an ecosystem will evolve around phones that rivals (and possibly exceeds) the one around PCs. Given the role that the PC plays in the average person's life -- both professionally and personally -- it's fair to say this is going to be a big deal.

From a business-tech standpoint, workers should expect software for mobile devices that will make them more productive and generally improve their lives. We can't tell you exactly what this software will be --- if we knew we'd develop it --- but we can assure you it will happen.

Article printed from Business Technology: *http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech*

URL to article: *http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2007/11/27/verizon-takes-down-its-garden-walls/*

--

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><

===================================
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
===================================
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
HTML PAGE: 4436774425@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net

"If you listen to all the people saying
why you shouldn't, or can't, do something,
you'll never do anything."

------ Edward Whitacre Jr. --------
"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."