[opendtv] Re: Variety.com: Who Are the Winners and Losers in Pay TV’s Unbundled Future?

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 23:55:04 -0500

Craig wrote:

>> This very recent article continues to explain what the content owners, and
>> even some MVPDs, are thinking.

> Actually, it is almost as speculative as most of your posts Bert.

My posts have evidence, whereas your speculation (that content owners won't let
their stuff out except in "the bundle") is pure fiction, and clearly
contradicted by the facts.

> Already addressed this one. There is significant activity building regional
> and
> sport specific networks, both for cable and OTT.

That dances around the motivation, unfortunately. Which is that even MVPDs are
rebelling against your "the bundle" burdens.

> Yup.  Just another expensive virtual MVPD.

Which competes against the other MVPDs by keeping their markup lower. This too
is something I had to point out, and who knows why. But yes, another MVPD is
not the answer, and the content owners themselves have figured it out, as
mentioned at the end of the article.

> And DSL is not the answer for broadband.

Actually, you're wrong here too, as I've already explained. DSL is going up to
1 Gb/s, which is very competitive with FTTH.

> But this does not mean that the
> bundle is threatened. It does mean that everyone is adapting to changing
> distribution technologies.

The bundle is definitely threated when content owners are willing to make their
stuff available outside it, no matter how you try to twist your logic. As the
article points out:

"What’s different this time around, after years of fretting about the looming
specter of people abandoning the bundle? Said analyst Craig Moffett, 'The
content companies are no longer part of a united front trying to forestall OTT
substitution.'”
What is ambiguous about that, Craig? Instead of fretting about "people
abandoning the bundle," says the article, verbatim, the content owners are NO
LONGER united in opposing OTT substitution for your "the bundle."

When faced with such a barrage of obvious changing trends, one wonders what
possible ulterior motives can make anyone so stubbornly with head in sand.