[opendtv] Re: Variety.com: Leslie Moonves and Jeff Shell Defend Movie Industry, Blast Aereo for 'Stealing' Content

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 22:54:12 +0000

James Albro wrote:

> No it's not "kind of theft."  If the signals are viewed only in your
> home then it's a private performance as has been established for years.
> If you start wiring up your neighbors, distributing your fireplace
> signals to them and charging a fee for the service (without paying a
> mutually agreed fee for the use of copyrighted content) you'll be in
> the wrong and acting just like Aereo.

Yes, I'll accept that charging a fee may create an issue, to a point. I
previously mentioned building antenna systems, where the condo dwellers
contribute part of their condo fees to the system. Is that not okay? It's
always been okay. We lived in at least three different apartment complexes with
such systems, two of them garden apartments and the third a condo high-rise.

In my system at home now, I have a distribution amp with two spare outlets. If
I installed a coax to the neighbor's house, so they can watch FOTA TV, would
that not be okay? I can't see any objection, UNLESS the broadcasters are trying
to get as many people subscribed to MVPDs as possible.

If, having connected a coax to the neighbor's house, I bought some new antennas
for my fireplace, and asked the neighbor to contribute to the purchase, would
that create a problem? It shouldn't.

> No, Aereo provides OTA channels plus cable only content.

Can you name the cable-only content? One channel: Bloomberg TV. Assuming they
aren't lying about this, check out this site, and pick your market:

https://aereo.com/channels

Note that the OTA channel number is listed next to each channel, for every
market where Aereo operates. And again, if Bloomberg is happy with this, who
can possibly object?

This aspect of what Aereo offers is key. If someone believes that Aereo is
offering cable-only channels, *no wonder* there's a debate. That's why I said
way back when, it seems like no one is left in the US who knows what is
available OTA. Certainly, not the Supreme Court justices!

> Cable companies also get no ad revenue from OTA channels.  Cable
> channels (like CNBC, for example) have local avails that can be sold by
> the local cable company.  OTA channels do not.

Okay, but Aereo has no avails of any sort, so there's a difference. Aside from
Bloomberg TV, *only* OTA channels, no ad revenues. How is that like a cable
company?