[opendtv] Re: Valve's Newell: How PCs Will Take Over the Living Room

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 09:36:18 -0500

At 7:15 PM -0500 2/9/13, Albert Manfredi wrote:
I do, and furthermore, I think that a tablet-like device could easily become that new "commodity PC." (BTW, from the subject line, it should have been clear that I was referring to the article Tom had just posted.)

Sorry, I never saw Tom's post.

You're simply not opening your mind, Craig.

A tablet "look and feel" does not mean you have to be stuck on the tablet form factor. There is nothing hard about giving a large screen TV set the same screen content you would see on a tablet, then giving the user a pointing device so he doesn't have to physically swipe objects on the screen itself. And you can even provide those "apps" that the simple-minded find so indispensable.

You are correct. With Airplay you can mirror the content on your iPhone or iPad to the big screen (requires an Apple TV for the TV). Android is developing similar capabilities.

I think the pointing device Bert is suggesting will look a lot like a tablet or a smart phone.

Then again, we could just use gestures ala the X-Box Kinect technology.

Or just voice commands ala Siri.

My bet is all of the above, depending on the vendor.