[opendtv] Re: Valve's Newell: How PCs Will Take Over the Living Room

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 21:38:31 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Too bad, so sad. As long as people allow themselves to be led by
>> the nose, the supply side can soldier on with what they've been
>> doing. And those who complain about it made to sound like whiners.
>
> Too late Bert. There is a very large body of analysis that is
> critical of the tactics being used by the congloms. And you are
> among them,

The MVPDs, Craig, not the congloms! Cord cutting is about MVPDs. Cord cutters
are *not* bypassing the congloms. They are getting conglom content by alternate
means that the congloms support. If the congloms "preferred" it the old away
depending on MVPDs, they have shown they are capable of adapting. At least
partially.

> So sad that sports is the biggest driver behind the bundling
> bandwagon. But this is reality.

Congratulations to sports fans, then, for subsidizing so much low-demand stuff.
Not sure what point you're trying to make. It's hard to blame the MVPDs and the
congloms for exploiting the most inelastic demand demographic, right?

> Likewise, ABC Does not use Flash, nor does NBC.

You're quite simply wrong. I tried viewing their full-length episodes after
having uninstalled Flash, and it didn't work. Perhaps you were trying other
parts of their sites. Same with tf1.fr, and I figured, no use trying a zillion
other international sites. My bet is, you didn't properly disable Flash. Since
you have spent so much time talking about this stuff without knowing, I'll
assume that's what happened.

> For some strange reason you seem to hold onto this historic
> notion that Apple always bucks the use of industry standards.

For some reason, it seems Craig is the only person who hasn't figured this out.
Apple always makes a big deal about pretending to support open standards.
That's called "PR." Too often, it's standards no one else supports. And may
never support. And as you acknowledge, it's a historic trend. So yes, if HTML5
succeeds, and it looks like it will, I fully expect Apple to quick jump to
something else, to force their faithful back to iTunes.

>> And there's more. Why can't smart TVs access, say, www.wwitv.com?
>> Do you really think the CE vendors didn't know? Just how dumb do
>> you think they are? So if they aren't happy with this state of
>> affairs, who the #$%& forced them into it?
>
> Themselves. By completely missing the transformation of the CE
> business thanks to the Internet.

Well, I might even accept that. My thinking has always been, repeated multiple
times on here, that everyone gets thoroughly stupid when it comes to Internet
TV. So you're saying, the CE companies, Apple, Roku, are not on the take. They
are indeed that stupid. Could be. I have no inside information. BTW, they don't
need to develop all new software from scratch. If I can load Firefox or Chrome
on my PC, and use any search engine out there, a CE vendor should be able to
offer something very similar without having to reinvent browsers, search
engines, or protocols to access web sites and content.