[opendtv] Re: Valve's Newell: How PCs Will Take Over the Living Room

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 21:42:32 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> You are incredibly naive if you think that more capable TVs and
> Internet appliances that connect to TVs is going to change the
> behavior of the congloms. This is Monopoly 101 (actually
> oligopoly).

I come from a totally different perspective than you. It's very simple. You are
the inveterate MVPD addict, so to you "bundles" are everywhere and control
everything you watch. On the other hand, I've always been able to watch conglom
content with absolutely no dependency on "bundles." And the Internet, the
unshackled one, not the one the CE vendors and Apple want to cram down our
throats, has expanded the possibilities immensely.

So I have witnessed a big improvement in service, with the advent of DTV and
Internet TV, whereas you have not.

And yes, when/if there is something the congloms want to hide away in an MVPD,
I simply shrug shoulders and watch something else. Instead, you fork out more
money. Only to prove that the MVPDs are not charging enough.

> But Apple TV DOES provide access to this content via Airplay.

Don't be absurd. First of all, you need a second Apple device to use Airplay.
You need a iOS handheld toy plus you need AppleTV. Only you don't see this as
proof of more excess of greed. And secondly, that handheld toy will not support
the protocols required to get the content.

I already showed you how much content you're missing if you can't receive Flash
content. Do your own tests, for heaven's sake. Go to cbs.com, click on "Full
Episodes Online" or "watch," and see what's available to you. It's funny how
you claim that the congloms are "blocking their content," when it's Apple
that's blocking the content. Then try the same thing at all of the other
conglom sites. You can do this, Craig. Then you can quit blowin' smoke of this
subject.