[opendtv] Re: Valve's Newell: How PCs Will Take Over the Living Room

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:00:06 -0600

John Shutt wrote:

> Have you ever played a videogame with a Nintendo Wii? The TV's
> remote control could include the Nintendo Wii style of gesture
> control, which is a combination of three axis gyro motion sensing
> and infrared LEDs detected by a TV mounted sensor bar for "point
> and click" control.

Heh heh. Used to be that when you heard people talking to themselves on the
street, you knew they were mentally disturbed. And when you saw people
gesticulating aimlessly, same sort of mental disorder. Now, apparently, those
behaviors are acceptable.

Sure, you could use gestures or voice commands to control the smart TV. It
should be all up to the TV designers. I simply don't see the attraction, is
all. I'd much prefer a pointing device, silent and effective, just like you
always use when browsing the web.

Also, it seems to me that people raise the bar when it comes to smart TVs. All
of a sudden, just because we're talking about TV material, what is acceptable
for any other kind of web search or web browsing, is "too hard." Now, people
seem to demand all sorts of advanced heuristic search that magically knows what
the TV viewer is thinking, and immediately presents that video content ready to
go. As if any other web browsing, shopping, banking, paying bills, or anything
else, approaches that type of automation.

With Win8 Metro on a PC vs a tablet, instead of touching the icons on the
screen, you can just click on them with a mouse. That seems like it would be
really simple to implement on a smart TV, to me. Save you all the talking to
yourself and wild gesticulations.