[opendtv] Re: Valenti interview with TheTech

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:16:59 -0400

John, if we use this TTL scheme, how can a router vendor tomorrow
know whether I want to adjust the TTL for a perfectly legit
reason or whether I want to do so to defeat the ATSC BF?

Routers normally don't look inside the packet (up to Layer 7).
That's what makes the Internet feasible. No component looks
up or down the protocol stack except in very special
circumstances. So the router vendor would have no way to prevent
me from doing this adjustment, *unless* the router sticks its
nose in something it should not care about.

For example, good firewalls do look inside packets, but no one
is *forced* to install a firewall. You do so to protect your
network. And your standard router is not a firewall.

So again, to make the TTL scheme sort of "robust," you'd have
to mandate that router vendors either make TTL untouchable,
which would really tick off a lot of legit network
administrators, or be capable of identifying ATSC packets.

But maybe it's "robust enough." It's certainly the best idea
I've seen.

Bert