[opendtv] Re: Valenti interview with TheTech

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:35:17 -0400

Kon wrote:

> http://www-tech.mit.edu/V124/N20/ValentiIntervie.20f.html
>
> Here's the most interesting comment made by Valenti:
>
> "The broadcast flag -- if you are in your home, then you can copy
> anything that's on over-the-air television to your heart's
> content. The
> only time that you will know there's a broadcast flag is if
> you try to
> take one of those copies and redistribute it on the Internet.
> Then, the
> flag says, 'No, you can't redistribute it.' But you can do everything
> you're doing right now -- you'll never know there's a broadcast flag.
> Well, why would people object to it?"
>
> I had questioned before if rebroadcasting an OTA stream at my
> home via
> IP multicast was legal or not. Good to see that indeed, it is.

Kon,

This is all fine and good in a glossy viewgraph presentation, but
how does a router vendor implement this? How does the vendor know
when Port X in his router will be connecting to the Internet vs.
connected to an in-house multimedia LAN? How does the router at
one end of you in-house LAN know that there might not be another
router connecting to the Internet at the other end?

How will the FCC decree that all routers in the US suddenly become
BF-aware?

Of course, if this BF were merely a legal tool, you would say
it's up to the user to set up his equipment correctly, or face
possible legal consequences. But supposedly, this system is to be
almost fool proof. To the extent that they want this stuff
encased in epoxy or whatever.