[opendtv] Re: VC-1 standard finally arrives

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 04:13:10 -0700

A bit anti-climatic in light of:

1) The top 50 DBS companies have unilaterally
rejected VC-1 for H.264. I didn't even know
there were 50 DBS companies! It's said that
M$ has "given up" on the broadcast segment.

2) SBC/AT&T has chosen H.264 over VC-1
(although they flipped back and forth a few times).

3) It's reported that Crown Castle chose VC-1 for
the M$ DRM package and not the codec.

Aside from HD-DVD, there's not a lot of support
for VC-1. However, major compression customers
are still hedging their bets. The typical statement is
"We have no plans for VC-1, but we'd like you to
include the feature in your product, /just in case/".
If you're the typical company with limited resources,
that's not exactly what you want to hear from your
customers.

IMHO, two advanced codecs is one too many
for the compression market to bear. The H.264
snowball will continue to grow while VC-1 will
wither on the vine.

Ron