[opendtv] Updated Flash Player fixed IE9 streaming media problem

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 04:17:55 -0400

Remember when I guessed that "too many cooks had spoiled the broth," and that's
why only the Hulu site seemed to work right with Win7 and IE9?

Well, tonight a new update to Flash Player, 10.3.181.23, showed up and asked to
be installed. I obliged. Problem solved. Now the fox.com, abc.com, cbs.com, and
thistv.com sites also work just fine, full screen or not, with no strobing
pop-up ads in sight. And Hulu continues to work fine.

Must have been some incompatibility between Flash Player 10 and IE9. Too many
cooks had spoiled the broth. Just the sort of glitch we can expect to recur
with IP distribution of TV content. But it's great to see everything working
right again.

Yes, a walled garden might have avoided this glitch. And so would enforced
standards in an unwalled garden.