[opendtv] Re: Ultra HD broadcasts demand higher frame rates

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 09:25:22 -0400

Frame rate, spatial resolution, and screen size are three interrelated factors, but there are many more, including viewing distance, shutter angle (or duty cycle), and panning speed/scene motion.

We have had about 88 years of experience of people watching movies shot and projected at a 24-fps rate (and generally seen with a dual image flash having a 50% duty cycle), yet audiences have not run screaming from cinemas thanks to the craft of cinematographers who long ago figured out practices to deal with these issues, some of which are listed in the panning-speed/shutter-angle tables of the American Cinematographer Handbook and others of which might be considered, perhaps. tradition.

It is common, for example, for a scene in a restaurant to begin with what I call a "waiter shot." The camera follows a moving waiter who is otherwise unrelated to the plot to the table where the important characters sit. The camera motion makes the waiter relatively stationary on the screen, and the audience focuses on that moving person, rendering the strobing of the background relatively invisible.

TTFN,
Mark

On 6/5/2013 12:36 AM, Mark Aitken wrote:
Sorry, I did not get the right words out...What size do the images need to be to drive the
higher frame rates? Do 7 680 x 4 320 and 3 840 x 2 160 (16:9) moving pictures need 120 or 240
or some other 'big' Hz rate if the images are only 40"? What about 120"? 240"?
What are the interrelated dynamics at work?

Mark