[opendtv] Re: Ultra HD broadcasts demand higher frame rates

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 07:43:57 -0400

On Jun 4, 2013, at 4:24 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Perhaps it didn't stimulate discussions because we've seen these points made
> over and over again (dare I say "ad nauseam")? And there was not much new to
> say?

REALLY?

We have not talked about this stuff for many years.

> The only novel item for me was that the higher resolution of UHD exacerbates
> the need for higher frame rate, although that's also unsurprising when one
> thinks about it.

Good. That was the entire point of the story.

> One thing that interests me, and I've already shown the numbers, is that 4K
> UHD brings digital imaging up to about the quality achievable with 35mm film
> in a camera with good lens (the lens being the limiting component), and 8K
> UHD brings digital imaging to the quality level of those 70mm or 65mm movies.

One might question why the movie industry keeps shooting 24 FPS, given what the
ITU is "discovering." To be fair, iMAX is typically a much higher frame rate.
Clearly, Cinematographers must be very careful about camera movement.

But the ITU is looking at video applications, including live sports. You could
see this coming for years; at least they are starting to consider the
requirements for a truly flexible electronic imaging system.