[opendtv] Re: Ultra HD broadcasts demand higher frame rates

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 20:24:57 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I was hoping this story might stimulate some discussions; guess I'll
> have to start them...

Perhaps it didn't stimulate discussions because we've seen these points made
over and over again (dare I say "ad nauseam")? And there was not much new to
say?

The only novel item for me was that the higher resolution of UHD exacerbates
the need for higher frame rate, although that's also unsurprising when one
thinks about it.

One thing that interests me, and I've already shown the numbers, is that 4K UHD
brings digital imaging up to about the quality achievable with 35mm film in a
camera with good lens (the lens being the limiting component), and 8K UHD
brings digital imaging to the quality level of those 70mm or 65mm movies.