[opendtv] Re: USDTV demos at NAB

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:39:44 -0400

John, dipole gain comes in because UHF receiving antennas
can compensate in large measure for the more rapid
attenuation of UHF signals. I think I'm disagreeing
that indoor reception of VHF is necessarily easier than
indoor reception of VHF, which is why I was wondering
why you tried to discount the fact that a receiver was
available even in 2001 which could get solid indoor
reception of 8-VSB from 17 miles away.

Let's do the numbers on your numbers, just so this can
be clear. I'm using 50 mile range, a required 25 dB
margin, and free space attenuation for this comparison.

Your Channel 23, 525 MHz, 1.23 MW transitter's signal
is attenuated 125 dB at 50 miles. Assuming a 25 dB
margin, a receiver with unity gain antenna will see
-59 dBm of signal. Not bad.

Your Channel 6, 83 MHz, 100 KW transmitter's signal
is attenuated 109 dB at 50 miles. Assuming a 25 dB
margin, a receiver with unity gain antenna will see
-54 dBm of signal.

Now, how hard is it for a UHF antenna to make up
that 5 dB signal difference? Not very. UHF antennas
can afford to be higher gain, because the elements
are much closer together!

I think that was Doug's point.

Bert