[opendtv] US switchover awareness 'stuck at 30%

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:39:46 -0500

Hey, CBS, will I expect to see public service announcments on your
stations then? I've yet to see any.

What this piece misses is that only 15 percent of US households will be
affected by any analog switchoff, as opposed to some 65-70 percent of UK
households (IIRC). So it stands to reason that a far larger percentage
of Americans can remain blissfully ignorant of this date. Not that this
excuses CBS and others for failing to inform.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=2162

US switchover awareness 'stuck at 30%'-CBS

Just 30% of the US population is aware of America's 2009 digital
switchover target, according to new research by CBS Corporation. David
Poltrack, head of research at CBS, told the Consumer Electronics Show in
Las Vegas that of that 30%, half had already purchased a digital TV set,
and a further 30% planned to do so before the February 18, 2009,
switchover deadline. Poltrack said of those not aware of switchover,
when told of the change 40% said they would upgrade to a digital
receiver before the deadline.

The US awareness figure compares with a 70% awareness among UK adults,
according to research by Ofcom and Digital UK for the three months to
the end of September 2006.

Poltrack told the CES that viewers embracing digital media were more
likely to watch top network programmes in peak, and said the "fully
connected" segment of the US population, defined as having both
broadband and digital TV, had grown from 22% in the autumn of 2005 to
30% in the fourth quarter of 2006.

"This data clearly shows a correlation between connectivity and
primetime television viewing. Consumers who embrace the new media are
the heaviest viewers of the top network primetime programmes, and this
sector of the audience is growing. By offering them new ways to connect
to their favourite shows-whether it's [via] web sites, podcasts,
ringtones or other mobile features -we've been able to deepen the bond
these fully connected viewers have with our programming."

Lovelace Consulting  |  09.01.2007