[opendtv] US spectrum auction 'may miss targets'

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:17:05 -0500

I thought the business about using some of the spectrum for "public
safety" was mostly hype, to get this transition going already. I guess
this confirms my suspicion.

For instance, wasn't the final determination that comm problems in NYC
on 9/11 had nothing to do with lack of spectrum, and everything to do
with more basic incompatibility of equipment among the various agencies?

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=2891

US spectrum auction 'may miss targets'

The closure of high-profile start-up Frontline Wireless suggests that
the US federal government's spectrum auction could generate far less
money than anticipated and puts the future of a public safety network at
risk, according to reports.

Frontline, whose staff includes former Federal Communications Commission
(FCC) Chairman Reed Hundt, was widely expected to successfully bid for a
share of the spectrum set aside for a new public safety network designed
to allow emergency services to communicate during disasters.

According to the LA Times, Frontline was unable to raise sufficient
funds for the minimum bid of $1.3 billion and analysts told the paper
that if a company as well connected as Frontline couldn't raise
sufficient funds, other start-ups were unlikely to be able to compete
with major players such as Google and AT&T, who are expected to bid for
a slice of spectrum that will enable them to offer high-speed wireless
services.

A Frontline Wireless statement confirmed the business had closed but
declined to comment further.

FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin told reporters that alternative bidders
could replace Frontline.

"I'm still hopeful that there will be someone who will emerge as being
willing to take on that challenge," he said.

If nobody meets the minimum bid the FCC could hold another auction with
different rules, Martin said.

DTG Staff 14.01.2008