[opendtv] Re: US DTV Patent Royalties Range From $24 to $40

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 17:40:44 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> So how much of this $24.10 is truly about ATSC?
>
> Essentially all of it, except for the small number
> of TVs that are being sold and used with cable
> cards. The vast majority of sets are connected to
> cable/DBS boxes, thus the integrated tuners are
> not even used, and are only there because of the
> government ATSC tuner mandate. Unfortunately.
> cable/DBS subscribes pay some of the royalties
> twice.

Craig, that response makes seriously no sense.

If there's anything "unfortunate" going on here, it's that cable/DBS boxes not
only have to pay the royalties too, but that there are a heap of suckers out
there perfectly willing to rent them monthly IN ADDITION.

The truth is that there is a hefty amount of the total that goes to
non-ATSC-specific royalties, and everyone has to pay those. And even if you
have a dumb display, say with HDMI inputs, you still have to pay royalties on
that interface, as well as on the IP residing in the STB(s) that feed(s) it.

But I thank you for the explanation of the H.264 royalties applying to content
providers mostly. Of course, the consumer does have to pay that one way or the
other, eventually.