[opendtv] Re: Two-way plug-&-play

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:03:54 -0400

At 12:12 PM -0400 10/19/04, John Golitsis wrote:
>I have an 8000HD.  The DVI port is currently inactive...the firmware isn't
>available yet to drive it.  It does not include a cable modem (at least the
>version I have).  It does not include a web browser (at least the version o=
>software I have).
>
>Aside from that, how is it a "home gateway=20
>product that has been optimized for a
>progressive HD display"??  It's really just a=20
>3250HD with a built-in PVR add-on.

Whoopps...

I guess this may be a case of one of those famous=20
gaps between press announcements and actual=20
product implementations. It does, however,=20
demonstrate something about extensibility.

=46rom the SA website:

>The  Explorer=AE 8000HD Home Entertainment Server=20
>supports digital video recording (DVR),=20
>picture-in-picture (PIP), plus all of the latest=20
>interactive services such as video-on-demand=20
>(VOD), Web browsing, email, games, and=20
>television commerce.

SA has announced all of the features I listed.=20
But they may not have the firmware in place yet=20
to support them. And then there is the reality=20
that cable systems can order unique=20
configurations of these STBs, leaving out=20
features they don't want.

Thanks to the programmability of this box, you=20
may get to enjoy the benefits of extensibility in=20
the future...then again, Rogers Cable is likely=20
to determine what will be turned on.