[opendtv] Re: Two-way plug-&-play

  • From: Bill Sheppard <Bill.Sheppard@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:45:50 -0700

Mark Schubin wrote:

>Bill Sheppard wrote:
>

>>I believe what's being missed in this whole discussion is that within a
>>year after completion of the Two-way Plug-and-Play agreement
>>

>Any guesses as to when that might be?

Nothing useful.  I do think there must be pressure to get it done before
the FCC makes their own rules, however.

>>we can
>>reasonably expect that most sets will be fully-OCAP compliant,
>>

>Can we?  It's a lot more than a year after the one-way agreement.  What
>percentage of the roughly 300 million U.S. TV sets are now digital-cable
>ready?

Sorry, I should have qualified that as "most new sets" will be OCAP
compliant.  Of course it'll take time before it's a meaningful chunk of
the installed base, but even a few million sets, coupled with OCAP boxes
deployed by the cable companies, will be enough to get the content flowing.

Bill