[opendtv] Re: Two decades of progress...

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 06:55:11 -0400

Jeroen

Thanks for this reply.

I've spent too many years on the bleeding edge, trying to act as an agent for
positive change. In this position one learns very quickly how technology and
"politics" can be used to bring about progress, or to slow it down. But those
who play the blocking game do so at great risk.  Science can be subverted,
co-opted, and bought, but eventually theories must be proven, repeatable and
turned into practical solutions/products.

Twenty years ago we could only imagine what we take for granted today. I still
remember an OpenDTV Forum at NAB (I think it was in 2000), walking around the
room with a 2-POUND"tablet," pulling pictures out of the air from an OFDM
transmission, thanks to the efforts of Mark Aitken and Sinclair.

Now I am writing this message on an iPad and preparing to watch the Apple
Developers Conference keynote "on demand," via the Internet and my WiFi router.
Did anyone sitting in that room in 2000 expect that such a device would exist
today? Did anyone expect it would ALSO be capable of capturing HD video,
editing it, then sharing the results around the world via YouTube?

Let me know what can be done to help facilitate real progress.