[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark'sMondayMemo)2004April20

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:16:49 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> how can you tell how
> quickly the performance curves are converging, or if you do
> not compare to
> the latest generation of COFDM receivers, if they are even
> converging at all?

To maintain "intellectual honesty," let me also address the
"latest generation COFDM receivers." You're right that we
have even less evidence to use when it comes to latest gen
COFDM receivers.

In the absence of test data, I use ETSI EN 300 744 and
compare the theoretical C/N requirements and echo tolerance
with those measured with the 8-VSB receiver being tested.

The focus of DVB-T receiver improvements has apparently
been in the area of impulse noise immunity. This was needed
because DVB-T chose not to implement the inner interleaver
option available in DVB. So when new 8-VSB receivers show
improvements in echo tolerance and in C/N margins, getting
closer to or beating ETSI 300 744 figures, I conclude that
the performance differences are converging. But no, I never
compared impulse noise immunity, mostly because it never
seems to be a measure of interest in these improved 8-VSB
receivers.