[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark'sMondayMemo)2004April20

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:53:15 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Since I am the one that " dredge[s] up 1999 comparison tests
> every time
> someone conducts a new set of trials," at least be
> intellectually honest and
> acknowledge why I do.  You always like to compare apples to
> apples, and what
> better comparison than DVB-T vs. ATSC?

No better comparison, I agree completely. Too bad we have no
such comparisons available to us today that mean squat.

> Comparing 8-VSB to earlier generation 8-VSB is informative,
> but unless it is
> also compared to that 1999 benchmark that Sinclair set, how
> can you tell how
> quickly the performance curves are converging, or if you do
> not compare to
> the latest generation of COFDM receivers, if they are even
> converging at all?

Again, no valid comparison is available, so there's no point
bringing up those old results. All we do know is that the new
ATSC receivers are considerably better than those used in
those old tests, specifically in the areas where those old
receivers did poorly. So we do know that if *these* 8-VSB
receivers had been tested against *those* COFDM receivers,
the results would have been *CLOSER*. That's all we know,
and that's all that matters at this point.

> It has been almost 5 years since the Motorola and NxtWave
> press releases
> that the FCC itself used to justify it's denial of the
> Sinclair petition.  I
> think it is about time that those promises by them and other chip
> manufacturers be kept.

If I remember correctly, the FCC conducted its own set of tests
before making that decision, and we discussed those FCC results
on OpenDTV. And the FCC also made the assumption that 8-VSB
receivers were improving. Well, from where I sit, this is
exactly correct. Receivers were and are getting better, and
they are getting better in performance measures that were poor
before. Is there any point in continuing to point to some
company's overly hyped press release of 4+ years ago?