[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo) 2004 April20

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:37:41 -0400

John,

How can it be that Zenith, demonstrating their latest generation ATSC
receivers, refused to even attempt reception with an indoor antenna under
those nearly ideal conditions that Mark described.

The answer is they know how fragile ATSC still is (and always will be) and
they did not want to risk any chance that someone would reveal the old man
behind the curtain, instead of bowing to the great and powerful OZ

One five minute demonstration like Sinclair did in Baltimore in 1999 would
show you exactly what I mean.  All of the ATSC demonstrations at the 2004
NAB compared the latest generation receivers with prior generation
receivers, showing steady and encouraging improvement.

However, they STILL can't match the performance of a 1999 vintage COFDM
receiver.

Refusing to drink the Kool-Aid,

John Shutt