[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 23:10:35 -0400

That may be because MPEG-4 isn't used for much yet, except maybe
encoding DVD rips.  Maybe it never will be.

But it seems quite likely to me that once the technology is here
commercial vendors will figure out how to use objects and layers to
target ads, overlay product placements, and probably also to hide the
naughty bits in family (airplane or OTA) versions of media.  It just
makes too much sense.

Just because a technology has never yet succeeded does not mean it has
failed. ;-)

- Tom