[opendtv] Re: Transition confusion

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:25:10 -0400

If they aren't re-encoding to lower the bit rate then I'm not sure why an MPEG-2 ATSC to MPEG-2 QAM conversion should have to cost any quality at all. Can anyone explain if this is true, and why?

- Tom

Albert Manfredi wrote:
In the current edition of The Perfect Vision, page 66 in the online version, is
an article that explains what we should expect for 18 Feb 2009. You have to go

www.theperfectvision.com

and it will direct you where you need to be.

It says that for cable customers, your cable company might have to replace your
STB if it hasn't already done so. I suppose the wording is vague enough that
one might consider it true. No mention, though, that cable companies are free
to continue broadcasting analog TV as long as they please.

But the most interesting thing, on Page 69, is that OTA HDTV transmissions are expected to be
higher quality than cable HDTV. The reason being, cable has to go through a conversion process from
"ATSC format" to "QAM format" used by cable, so presumably you lose in that
conversion process.

Interesting. It says so in black and white.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx