[opendtv] Re: Transition confusion

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 09:01:43 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Barry" <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Too bad. I haven't tested it here on Cox in Gainesville but maybe 5 years ago in Detroit on Comcast I dual recorded a number of HD programs simultaneously from both OTA and cable and, after stripping each to a single MPEG-2 stream, they appeared identical both in bit rate and video quality. At that time I was convinced Comcast was neither rate shaping or re-encoding.

Five years ago, perhaps Comcast in Detroit had no need or the technology to rate shape or re-encode. Today it is much easier and cheaper, and the digital tier is getting very full.

The FCC has ruled that cable companies cannot rate shape OTA HD any further than they do to their other HD channels. There is no requirement, however, for a bit-for-bit delivery of OTA HD to cable consumers.

John