[opendtv] Re: Transition Begins?

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:31:51 -0700

Bob;

New broadcast stations do not go up for bid -- at least not to my knowledge,
and not at this point.  People apply for them.

Why in the hell do you think somebody would bid to offer free television?
So, you are the high bidder, having outbid the other parties, and you get to
provide (at least one SDTV-quality) stream in the free and clear?

You are asking questions that you should already know the answer to, if you
are who you say you are.  The procedures and priorities that full-service,
class A lptv and lptv/tv translators will go through post-transition were
adopted -- for the most part -- years ago.  You could look it up, if you
cared.

I'd like to also call you to task for trying to get the last word with Dale.
He and I have attempted to show you the light on this subject.  You seem to
remain clueless about our posts, and are trying to engage in one-upmanship.

I think you should confine yourself to arguing with Bert -- birds of a
feather, and all that.

If you need direct and complete information on this subject, I'd be happy to
clue you in.  My billing rate is $200 per hour, with a two hour minimum.
Payment in advance, in good U.S. funds.  I suspect you don't realize how
valuable getting to the bottom of this really is to you; but you seem to be
reactive rather than pro-active, and floppy instead of steady.

If you are truly interested in doing what you think you want to do, not
knowing the answers to the questions below -- in a definitive manner ---
will cost you millions before the transition is over.  I've practiced before
the FCC in legal and engineering matters for more than 24 years.  As we say
"my credentials are a matter of record with the Commision."

And, I'm sure that Dale is even more qualified than me.  But then, we're
both broadcasters; I'm just a recovering one.