[opendtv] Re: Transition Begins?

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:01:52 -0400

Dale Kelly wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>

>>Qualcomm is taking 55 NOW! A LPTV station is not protected from
>>Qualcomm. There is no wait for anything.
>>

>You are correct, I believe. However, your question as I recall, was
>How/Why would these folks apply for a channel already "owned" by
>another company. I believe that I correctly answered your question.

What I thought you were saying is that they moved from 46 to 55 and
would stay there till analog shutoff when Qualcomm would force them off
and they then would move back to the core as new opportunities became
available.

But since Qualcomm will take possession now and the transition will take
place in 2007 0r 2010 or later does the FCC give them a place holder
card. How does the FCC assign the new locations that come up? Didn't
they put anything new up for bid? What if a number of LPTV stations in a
given market all are in the same boat? Who gets first dibs?

Complicated business. I think that 46 took 55 because they like a lot of
people didn't believe the transition would ever take place or at least
not until 2025.

Bob Miller